directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Enrique Rodriguez" <enriqu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] Mini-roadmap for protocol work
Date Sun, 30 Sep 2007 00:14:24 GMT
> May I suggest that you just do it in a slightly different order ?

Unfortunately you not only changed the order but you introduced
substantial scope creep.  While all the changes you suggest are valid,
I have to package them such that I can actually complete them in OCT.

> for ( project in {DNS, NTP, DHCP, ChangePW, Kerberos} do

I specifically left out NTP and DHCP, mostly due to time limitations,
though secondarily since they don't have IoHandlerChain's and because
they seem to be lower priority given the queries we get.  Certainly
they are valid concerns, though.

>   1) Add some doco on confluence

Everyone of these protocols (except DHCP, IIRC) has docs in the AUG.
Any thoughts on what else you'd like to see?

>   2) Clean the chain

Removing the chains is an orthogonal concern.  By this, I mean I can
remove all the chains at once, since it is a similar operation,
independent of protocol behavior.  I can probably remove the SASL one,
but I left it out since it is more in the midst of "bigbang" changes.

>   3) Add some tests
> done

> The idea is to clean the simplest protocols first, and to get me into
> the last loop when starting with Kerberos. I have still a hell loyt of
> work to do on the kerberos branch, and I really want to do it with
> you.

OK.  I am shooting for next month.  Something to consider is that if
you want to better support users, digging into the code may not be the
most effective use of time.  Most user questions will be at a higher
level, pertaining to configuration of the provider and how to
integrate Kerberos with Linux, Windows, and various services.  I'm
looking forward to the ASN.1 boost, but, to be perfectly honest, its
not going to be as valuable to users as getting interop scenarios
working.

> - you can add your mini-roadmap into the main roadmap
> (http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxPMGT/2.0+Roadmap), so
> that everyone will have a clear visibility about your progression
> (it's a matter of when we will be able to release : as you can see, we
> are now 11 working on the project, and we must be much more 'serious')

Will do, once I get some sense as to whether it's "approved."

> - We will also clean the chain into SASL, because we have clear
> problems with it (not sure it's already in the roadmap, but we will
> add it).

Valid concern but scope creep.

> Btw, if you have to work on a new external project, it would be cool
> to tell us so we can define a deadline for some of you assigned tasks,
> to be able to define the 2.0 release content.

I'd like to wrap-up any work up by the end of October.  I have a new
deadline of early JAN (CES 2008). I don't exactly have downtime right
now; I am simply taking away from any room for error I have later in
the year.

Enrique