directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Zoerner <ste...@labeo.de>
Subject ServiceConfiguration vs. NtpConfiguration
Date Sat, 29 Sep 2007 18:55:15 GMT
Hi all!

Due to the nice XBean documentation feature David depicted in his mails
I learned that the NTP configuration carries 12 values

bufferSize 	 int
catalogBaseDn 	java.lang.String
enabled 	boolean
initialContextFactory 	java.lang.String
ipAddress 	java.lang.String
ipPort 	int
searchBaseDn 	java.lang.String
securityAuthentication 	java.lang.String
securityCredentials 	java.lang.String
securityPrincipal 	java.lang.String
serviceName 	java.lang.String
servicePid 	java.lang.String

Only some them seem te be used (ipPort, serviceName, servicePid), most
of them are not. Does it really make sense to derive NtpConfiguration
from a base ServiceConfiguration (javadoc: Base class shared by all
protocol providers for configuration.), if there are only a minoriry of
the attributes in common?

Maybe it is handy to have a common abstraction for all protocol provider
configurations. But if we generate the documentation from the beans, and
attributes are listed for NTP (or any other protocol) which are not used
at all (including the default documentation text), it will look quite
confusing to the users.

Perhaps we can introduce a base class called MinimalServiceConfiguration
   and derive both NtpConfiguration and ServiceConfiguration (probably
other name) from it ...

Or do I miss something?

Greetings,
     Stefan