directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <seelm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [OT] Is studio using Sun's ldap service provider?
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2007 08:37:31 GMT
Spark Shen schrieb:

> 2007/9/4, Leo Li <liyilei1979@gmail.com <mailto:liyilei1979@gmail.com>>:
>
>     On 9/4/07, Stefan Seelmann <seelmann@apache.org
>     <mailto:seelmann@apache.org>> wrote:
>     > Hi Spark,
>     >
>     > I agree with Emmanuel, the Sun provider is hardcoded in Studio.
>     >
>     > However from my expirience, there are a lot of applications out there
>     > using "com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtxFactory" hardcoded in the code, so
>     they
>     > won't run with Harmony.
>

> I think we can have an improvement here - we factor those hard-coded
> name out into a property file. Can we?

Sure, in Studio we can do this, that is not a big deal. I think the
jndi.properties file is the right place for this. We could also add a
prefernce dialog to enter the right provider. Could you please create a
Jira about that?
  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSTUDIO

> Take into account that we are all apache developers, leave a place for
> harmony would be very touching. Just joking. :-)

I would love to create a Studio distribution with a bundled Harmony as
its JRE :-)

>     >
>     > Is it possible to add this class into harmony, maybe only as a
>     delegate
>     > to the real implemention? The JDKs of IBM and BEA include this class
>     > too, but I don't know if they just relicensed it from Sun.
>     >

>        The problem is here, to some degree a little interesting :)
>        Harmony is trying to implement its own LdapCtxFactory, whose main
>     focus is a ldap client.
>        So we are exploring whether there is some feature in ldap server
>     can be reused in implementing ldap client.
>        Is it all right, Spark?
>

> Yes, exactly.

As mentioned before we have a LDAP client implementation, see here:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/directory/shared/trunk/ldap/src/main/java/org/apache/directory/shared/ldap/

It includes all request and response messages of the LDAP protocol
(bind, search, modify, ...) as well as an filter parser, DN parser and
URL parser.

Regards,
Stefan Seelmann