directory-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] Ramifications of removing configuration beans
Date Thu, 27 Sep 2007 02:49:01 GMT
On Wednesday 26 September 2007 00:58, Alex Karasulu wrote:

One way that has worked for me in product development in the past is;

 1. Make the TRUNK the experimental branch, or at least where the stuff you
think(!) will end up in the product will take shape.

 2. Bug fixes are made in branches off the release tags, and in effect are
very limited in time. Each fix is also ported straight into TRUNK, when
appropriate.

 3. Make releases very often for bug fixes, i.e. immediately after fix.

 4. Avoid disruptive changes. This is sometimes difficult, but it makes life a
lot easier. The suggested change is disruptive, but the benefits may overcome
the cost. My approach would be to create a runtime compatibility layer first,
and use "on-the-fly" transformation to new formats.

By tugging along such setup, you only have a "latest released" and "current
development" to worry about.
Modularity also allows for smaller pieces to be released independently, as
long as inter-modular interfaces remain stable. This can also help users a
lot to be fairly close to bleeding-edge, without compiling the TRUNK with
possibility of failures and such.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer