directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Emmanuel Lecharny" <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Backup of apache ds database
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2007 17:43:56 GMT
Hi John,

there is not a straight way to do that, but you have options. The main
pb is that we can't guarantee that writes are ACID, so you may have a
pb if the server just crash suddenly. And as we are using cache (you
can tune it), some data may not be flushed.

So what are your options ?
1) Setup a replica. We support replications which will helps keeping a
server up and running when the other one is down. (1.5.x version only)
2) periodically extract the whole data as LDIF files : heavy, slow and
nothing guarantee you that you won't miss some of them if they are
updated in the meantime
3) We have a command line tool which let you dump the database
(Someone else on the list might give you some info regarding this
tool, I'm just pulling it on top of my mind... Not sure we have some
doco about it, but maybe). We have a subproject called
apacheds-server-tools which contains a Dump command, but we don't have
a Load command, sadly ...

Alex Karasulu might have other ideas, but in my mind, I think you
raised a very interesting problem, and we should deserve some time to
improve (write ?) the database backup/restore procedure...

Let some of the other peeps from ADS reply to this thread before
raising a JIRA issue, I might have missed something important...

Emmanuel

--
Regards,
Cordialement,