directory-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: possible test failures && a possible cur
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2007 17:21:50 GMT

On Aug 23, 2007, at 6:09 AM, Alex Karasulu wrote:

> David this change you made on the bootstrap-partition dependency in
> the core from
> compile scope to "test" scope will have greater ramifications as I
> noted in a few other
> emails.
>
> You'll need to fix server-installers, and server-main for one and
> possibly other projects
> which presume that this dependency is transitively inherited.

I'm confused about this.  In the past I've asked how to tell if a
change I propose breaks anything and the response has always been,
"run the integration tests, if they pass nothing is broken".  Well, I
ran all the integration tests before committing this change, and
nothing broke.  If there's something else I can do to determine if
the server is working, please let me know what it is.  Otherwise, I
have to say I can't understand why you think any other changes are
needed.

The main idea behind separating bootstrap-partition from bootstrap-
extract was that a project could specify exactly which bootstrap
partition it wanted to use, so projects should probably not be
assuming that their bootstrap partition is inherited "for free"

Maybe the problem is that there is no test that sees if the server
that's going to be packed up into the installer actually starts?

> Also it would be nice to throw a nice descriptive exception that a
> bootstrap partition jar is not present instead of complaining that
> the DBFILES are missing.  This will prevent much noise from our
> users.  Could you look into adding something like this before we
> release?

Great idea, see rev. 569056

thanks
david jencks