directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Zoerner <ste...@labeo.de>
Subject Re: What about languages?
Date Mon, 27 Aug 2007 10:06:06 GMT
Hi Sebastián!

I like the idea of providing information in other languages, although I
would not recommend to translate the whole thing. Our documentation
lacks completeness and will hopefully get a rework in the next months.
In any case, it is a somewhat moving target for translation.

Advanced users should be able to communicate in English anyway -- our
list, our source code documentation, all these things are in this language.

But it would be nice to have a sufficient amount of documentation
translated into several languages in order to get started. We have
native speakers for English, French and German available, you are a
perfect fit to add yet another (and more important) language.

I would recommend to extract those portions of the Basic User's Guide,
which are really relevant in order to get started, try to make them
stable, and translate this portion into several languages.

As a first step for this, you might scan the Basic Users's Guide here:
http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.0/apacheds-v10-basic-users-guide.html

What portions do you think are relevant? What is missing?

Perhaps you are interested not only to translate existing documentation,
but also to create new content. This will likely depend on your skills
and interests -- let us know!

Greetings from Hamburg,
     Stefan