You know we did do this or at least I know a few of us did it but we still get this issue.
It's very strange.  I have 'umask 0002' in my .bash_profile which is equivalent to having
it in .cshrc when using bash shell.

Alex

If you set umask to 2 (not 22) on people.apache.org you won't have this problem.  You have to set it in the place so it works for ssh access.  For me that is in .cshrc

thanks
david jencks