Fair enough.  We can still allow for XML based configuration files in addition
to alternative methods.  Perhaps we can push the use of such a mechanism
to be based on an optional system parameter.

Alex

On 7/9/07, Mark Swanson <mark@scheduleworld.com> wrote:
Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Mark keep in mind that you can use command line tools instead of a GUI
> to set the configuration of the server when the configuration is in the DIT.
>
> Furthermore you can just load an LDIF instead of using a server.xml to
> setup the initial configuration of the server.  So you get the best of both
> worlds: a flat configuration file and remote configuration capabilities.
>
> However we want to make sure we make the configuration interfaces as
> easy to use as they were with the server.xml but behind the scenes
> different mechanisms will be utilized.  All in all it should be much more
> plyable.

Ok. One more email from me and I will stop being a stick in the mud :-)

From what I understand of the command line tools, I assume you are
speaking of 'load LDIF into server'?

Wrt LDIF - I am sure that the sample ldif file with embedded examples
would be more confusing to me, and a GUI/LDAP editor is not going to
make this any better. I agree with Norval:

<quote>
Frankly I think XML is a much richer medium to express complex
configuration settings as beans, then an LDAP schema which is better
suited to modelling much simpler abstractions.
</quote>

The existing configuration process works. Let's leave it at that and if
folks want to take the time to build a GUI/alternate config format then
please consider creating it as an alternate config/maintenance option.
(Even if it was the primary/default option).

Cheers.

--
http://www.ScheduleWorld.com/
Free Google Calendar synchronization with Outlook, Evolution,