directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Norval Hope" <nrh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Simplified server configuration with xbean-spring
Date Mon, 09 Jul 2007 09:12:52 GMT
I'm afraid as a user who has made considerable additions/customizations to
server.xml (due to custom additions to the classes created by Spring using
it) I'm very worried about having to port everything over to a
"stored-in-DIT" model at some point in the future. Would it be feasible to
maintain support for the old style config an parallel alternative ? Frankly
I think XML is a much richer medium to express complex configuration
settings as beans, then an LDAP schema which is better suited to modelling
much simpler abstractions.

Also I'm not sure my users would react very favourably to having the start
the server up (*especially* in a different mode) in order to make config
changes. Would they still need to restart the server again afterwards to
have the settings take effect? Aren't there concerns about rendering the
server unstartable after editing settings, and if so isn't a single back-up
file preferrable to have to back-up the entire system partition DIT?

My 2c