directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Emmanuel Lecharny" <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] Configuration Beans
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2007 07:44:04 GMT
Hi guys,

I won't comment the whole mail, but just adding a point wich seems
essential to me :
 we are discussing about using a container or not, with people
thinking we should use Spring differently, and Alex saying this is not
possible, and even that Spring won't be the best choice.
Alas, nobody but Alex knows which is the exact initialization process,
(ok, I must admit I know a part of it), so discussion about using a
container to start the server is a dead end, as only one person knows
the rationnals. What I suggest is that we describe the init process in
a way anyone can have a clear understanding of how it works (I have
started it months ago, and I didn't had time to go very far, but now
it seems urgent to me)

Regarding CiDIT, which is related, the problem is quite the same : we
don't exactly know what should be put in the DIT, and how to handle
it. It would be interesting to list all the configuration which can
fit into the DIT, compared to what should stay in a file (be it a
Spring file). Some people are reluctant to ditch Server.xml, and I can
understand their position.

>From my POV, if we put everything in the DIT, then we must have a
standard way to inject and modify those informations. I think that
LDIF or DSML files should be used, because it's easy and standard to
inject such files in an LDAP server. Otherwise, we should also provide
very simple command line scripts to get/set configuration elements,
with may be a CL interface to do so (I don't know for you, but I don't
want to type ldapadd with all the cryptic arguments each time I want
to store a new parameter ...)

We may have to discuss this before starting writing any piece of code.

wdyt ?

--
Regards,
Cordialement,