directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Emmanuel Lecharny" <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Simplified server configuration with xbean-spring
Date Tue, 03 Jul 2007 05:03:02 GMT
Ole,

your proposal is not insane, but I'm afraid it won't solve the problem
we have...

We need to add some semantic to the configuration, and all the
EMF/XSchema/DAS layers won't help, IMHO.

KISS should be the way to go, I think.

> Cocktail.  I'll even throw in an Olive :-)  Maybe it should simplify a little more though.
 We already have spring beans (Pojos).  The code generated from the EMF model is the same
thing.  So think of the EMF model as the spring POJOs, with the additional xml semantics that
Xbean brings.  Now we also want to store this model in ADS, and the DAS is an elegant way
of doing this, as well as performing CRUD operations on server configuration entries.  Make
more sense?

> Cheers,
> - Ole
>

> Ersin Er wrote:
> > On 7/3/07, Ole Ersoy <ole.ersoy@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> OK - I'll just throw one more idea into the mix.
> >>
> >> Model the configuration file using xml schema.  Generate an EMF Model
> >> for it (This way serialized model instances conform to the schema
> >> keeping the semantic meaning intact).  Set the configuration defaults
> >> on the EMF Model.  Use the LDAP DAS to store the default entries in
> >> ApacheDS.  Now when ADS starts, it reads the configuration entries via
> >> the LDAP DAS and loads the corresponding EMF Model.  LS would also
> >> read the configuration file via the LDAP DAS and display it to the
> >> user for updates.  Then LS can save it to it's xml representation,
> >> reload it (Later if needed), and be the client for handling server
> >> updates.  Thoughts?
> >
> > So this is for simplifying things or making a technology cocktail ?
> >
> >> Cheers,
> >> - Ole

> >> These are

> >> rather