directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject [LDAP] Request for ASN.1 REAL conversion to LDAP Syntax and MatchingRules
Date Sun, 22 Jul 2007 15:33:17 GMT
Hi all,

I've been working on some prototypes of a mapping tool from Java to LDAP and
back. The only really
sticky point I have for mapping simple primitive properties lies in the area
of representing real values
in the directory.  There is no real syntax in LDAP.  Nor are there
matchingRules for attributes with this
syntax.  ASN.1 defines an encoding for REAL data types here:

    http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/studygroups/com17/languages/X.690-0207.pdf

I'm going to move forward and just ignore Java floats and doubles for now.
However I would really like
to devise a simple encoding for the base, and mantissa of these entities to
be able to track them without
rounding errors due to their persistence in the directory.  There's been a
lot of conversation about this
topic but no one has actually stepped up and done it.  Here's some links to
these convos:

    http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-bugs/200103/msg00065.html

Does anyone think they can take a stab at writing an LDAP syntax description
for REAL numbers
and providing the required SyntaxChecker and matchingRules for it as well?

Thanks,
Alex