directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] [CiDIT] Discussion
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2007 18:52:38 GMT

> Hi,
>
> First of all, before doing any coding, I think we must stabilize our
> thoughts on what we need and how we'll do it. So I suggest, before doing any
> CiDIT stuff in the code, we should document server initialization phase,
> configurations etc., our needs and solutions at cwiki.

Good idea. I started this stuff but got distracted. I got to much to juggle
these days.

I understand Alex's concerns about the limitations of current approach or
> limitations that prevent us from doing further enhancements in the way do
> want but I think the solution suggested is not completely the right way. I
> agree with most of the comments from Chris and David and here are a few (map
> be duplication a little bit):

I'm not trying to pitch this as the prefect final way :).  If I thought that
I'd just implement it without
spending time to open up a discussion on the ML to engage people.  I wrote
this description as a
seed for discussion, then posted to the list to start all this discussion.
The aim was to include the
community.  So this is just one possible approach that I can see.  I'm
hoping this brings
many people to the table to work together collaboratively.

Although LDAP is the right technology to store configuration information,

Yes it is.

the proposed solution is not the right way to do this. LDAP is not for
> structured data.

I don't think you mean to say that.  It is structured of courses with
objectClasses and
entries etc.  You must mean something else perhaps.

You cannot define relations between attributes and their values.

That does not make it unstructured. That just makes it so you cannot "define
relations
between attributes and their values."

(Which is my primary e-mail address? Which organizationalRole is related to
> which organizationalUnit in my personal entry?) For example, to specify the
> order of interceptors, using attribute values like n-foo (where n is a
> positive integer) does not really look elegant.

Yeah I pulled that out of my ass.  I'm not finished yet with the whole
persistence mechanism
we will use.  But trust me it will not be this clumsy.  It can be done
elegantly as well. I should
watch out with partial documentation: will try to complete on a local
confluence then set up the
page at apache.

CiDIT should be just an interface for configuring ApacheDS.

Yep.

It can even provide some virtual entries.

Although not CiDIT some diagnostic information can be exposed via virtual
attributes.

We should be able to configure ApacheDS in a few ways we want, JMX, LDAP,
> XML, etc.

Yep.

BTW, why don't we try to completely abstract this configuration stuff? (For
> example, Spring can load it's configuration from both XML and property
> files.)

Yeah that's what I'm saying.  Step one is to remove initialization code that
does this stuff in the
server so the dependencies are broken to the config beans.

Many users (developers) are used to configure ApacheDS with server.xml. If
> this is causing problems in embedded mode, we can also use Java based
> configuration option (in 2.1+) of Spring.

Still can have that.  I thought I pointed this out in the document no?

For the Real dynamic configuration problem, CiDIT does not really have much
> to do itself. For on-the-fly configuration we need a service manager like
> OSGi and I think Spring-OSGÄ° can be an option there.

Yeah glad you brought that up.  It is a great option.

Our current design of interceptors do not support any listeners for
> configuration changes. So it has its own problems.

Yep.

The dynamic schema generation stuff is, although cool, a dark path.

Aye but it can be made bright :).

It's a good research topic on its own but we cannot use it for CiDIT before
> it gets stable as given example, JDO or JAXB.
>
> Well there are a lot more to say but briefly I can say that we should
> document our current status, needs and solutions.

Aye thanks for your comments.

Alex

Cheers,