directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] [CiDIT] Discussion
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2007 03:15:38 GMT
Hi David,

> On Jul 15, 2007, at 8:03 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Here's that thread on discussing the CiDIT agenda. Let's take a look at
> the following
> link before beginning:
>

> http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/configuration-in-dit-cidit.html
>
> Thoughts? Comments?
>

> Yikes, I'm afraid this will take 6 months to a year to do, and unless you
> write "jdo for ldap", including an enhancer, I think its' going to be pretty
> painful to add new configuration elements.

Yes it would take considerable time if we did it by hand. I think we can
avoid this with a solid persistence mechanism for LDAP which also generates
the LDAP schema from bean interfaces.

What is this enhancer you talk about above?

Someone suggested a while back that we avoid the "jdo for ldap" problem by
> just storing server.xml in ldap as text.  IIUC this could be done in a
> couple of days.  Exactly how much really useful functionality would this
> lose compared to the fine grained approach?

This has a few issues but the most important one is that I want eventually
to replicate
the configuration within a cluster.  Yes this would still be possible but I
don't want to
replicate the entire configuration ... just the parts of it that should be
shared across the
cluster.  With a blob in the DIT you have to replicate the whole thing.

Another issue is with LDIF exports of the blob.  I like the idea of dumping
the configuration and then importing it perhaps with changes.  This becomes
more of a problem with a big XML blob.  Hand exiting an XML embedded within
an LDIF is a PITA.

The whole attribute value with the XML blob must be replaced for even the
simplest changes to the configuration.  You also cannot easily determine
exactly what changed to notify the component corresponding to the
configuration object that changed.

You cannot easily search and modify configurations through simple LDAP
clients.

This is a hack.

What if each component/bean configuration were stored as xml text
> separately, each with a (unique) name, and the links were determined by the
> names?

Sure that could be done as well but why not just bang it out if you're going
to wrestle with
all this anyway.

BTW, unless you write a fancy dependency tracking system (i.e. the geronimo
> kernel) I think that any change basically requires stopping and restarting
> the server, so I'm not sure there is really much advantage to splitting up
> each bean separately.

The dynamic reconfiguration capabilities will be reserved until we do have
such a system: OSGi based most likely.

And finally, why are there all these configuration objects that spring
> creates that then go and create the actual runtime objects, rather than
> having spring create the runtime object directly?  In particular, why is
> there an interceptor configuration object rather than just interceptors?

They were there since the beginning.  I have no idea why they were put
there.  What I do know is that I want to get Spring out of the picture and
make this server container agnostic.  Then we can wrap it up in any kind of
container we like.

Are you finding that Spring has some limitations that you are running into?
> Otherwise why eliminate it?

Same reason I keep OSGi out of the core or why I stripped out Avalonisms.
Let's stay container agnostic.

Alex