directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Triplesec] Thinking of a quick rewrite
Date Tue, 03 Jul 2007 12:34:02 GMT
This is great guys.  I also talked to Stefan Seelmann on IRC and he's also
interested in working on this.  I'm thinking Chris might also be interested
as well and he can chime in when he comes online.  So for now I'll presume
we have the following list of committers:

ckoppelt
pamarcelot
seelmann
ersiner
akarasulu
ccustine

Let me figure out the pieces we can chew off on this below.  Just thinking
out
loud so please chime in.

Configuration in DIT (CiD) Team

Members:
   pamarcelot
   seelmann
   akarasulu
Aim:
   Move configuration parameters within the server.xml file into the DIT
using a custom
   configuration schema for ApacheDS and Triplesec.  For this pass the
configuration
   need not be dynamic which can be retrofitted later.  We can use smart
defaults when
   the server starts so users can configure it then restart the server.  In
the process the
   Directory Studio guys on the team can expose these configuration
parameters in the
   DIT with custom wizards in Studio however this is not the immediate aim
of this effort.

Triplesec Schema Team
-----------------------------------

Members:
   akarasulu
   ccustine
   ckoppelt
   ersiner
Aim:
   Redesign the Triplesec schema for cleanup and to support multi-realm
configurations.
   Use triggers and stored procedures instead of a custom interceptor for
maintaining
   referential integrity.  Add extension objectClasses for permissions to
enable the
   backing use of various kinds of java.security.Permission instances.
Triplesec should
   be able to be used as a JSE policy store and eventually once we conclude
on how as
   a JACC provider.  Use new schema subsystem instead of the old 1.0mechanism.

Triplesec Installers Team
------------------------------------

Members:
   akarasulu
   ccustine
   ??
Aim:
   Migrate installers/boostrappers to support the Tanuki based changes being

   introduced into the 1.5.x branch by Chris.  Handling migration of Jetty
into
   ApacheDS core.  Rewrite some existing configuration and web demo
   applications to leverage CiD and utilize the new Kerberos clients that
Enrique
   is working on.  Although somewhat unrelated we have to move the Jetty
   integration code from Triplesec into ApacheDS so ApacheDS can leverage
   it and Triplesec becomes lighter.

Triplesec Documentation Team
Members:
   akarasulu
   ??
Aim:
   Update all documentation to reflect the changes in Triplesec.

I think these teams can start working with some good isolation and we will
pretty much have all main issues in this list knocked out.  Some things like
the better use of Maven and logging are horizontal aspects that we can all
manage as we deal with our individual issues.

I am going to start working in the new triplesec area just moving some basic
packages (libs) and doing the package renaming with a clean maven setup.
We can work out of the following SVN base:

   https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/triplesec/rewrite

I guess the next step is to look into some plan of attack for all this.  I
will
try to formulate something we can discuss in another email a few days
later.

How does this breakdown in labor sound so far?  Comments? Suggestions?

Alex