directory-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] [Maven] How can we have one authoritative copy of the server.xml file?
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2007 00:52:40 GMT

On Jul 9, 2007, at 8:04 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm fed up with having to apply changes between the server.xml file
> in the server-main project
> to the server-installers project which also contains a server.xml
> file in it and vice versa.  Some
> times there are slight differences in these files and diffs get out
> of wack so I cannot tell which
> file is the most up to date.
>
> I'd like to centralize and have a single authoritative copy in all
> of the ApacheDS project.  I'd like
> to make maven reuse this same server.xml where ever it may be
> needed.  There is no XML
> artifact (packaging type in Maven jargon). If there was then we
> could create a module with a
> dependency on this server.xml and reuse it all over without having
> to worry about keeping
> multiple copies in sync.  This is an even greater issue in
> Triplesec btw so it's a problem worth
> solving.
>
> Does anyone know or recommend a way we can use some Maven magic to
> solve this problem?

In geronimo we have a car-maven-plugin that has a new packaging type,
"car", and there's a xml file that tells maven how to deal with it:

for the whole plugin:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/server/trunk/maven-plugins/
car-maven-plugin
for the xml file:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/server/trunk/maven-plugins/
car-maven-plugin/src/main/resources/META-INF/plexus/components.xml

In my copy of triplesec I built a module with the basic server
configuration in it that could easily be used in all the tests.
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/sandbox/triplesec-jacc2/
itest-data

That eliminated all but the one copy of server.xml in that module.
So I tend to think of the problem as solved for triplesec.

thanks
david jencks