directory-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Simplified server configuration with xbean-spring
Date Mon, 09 Jul 2007 03:47:19 GMT

On Jul 8, 2007, at 5:48 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> Mark Swanson a écrit :
>
>> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>> <snip/>
>> Still catching up -- working backwards... wrt the "problems"
>>
>> 1. I disagree that this file is complex. It's straightforward,
>> simple, and sensible. Perhaps more docs would make it easier for
>> folks but come on, this is light years ahead of other LDAP
>> configs. This _small_ XML config file is a _single_ file. I like it.
>>
>> Create a simple howto with samples on how to configure it for the
>> most common use cases. Just enable folks to copy/paste the common
>> config options.
>

> Well, from your poit of view, as a experienced user, yes, the
> current server.xml is not too complex. But :
> - for new commers, it's quite difficult to get in (and I must admit
> that Dave has a point ith XSchema)
> - and the current configuration won't reflect the next level of
> configuration we will reach when all what we want to add into the
> server will be done.
>

>> 2. Please _PLEASE_ DO NOT put config info into ADS. Do NOT make me
>> use a GUI tool to configure ADS.  I can't always make an X
>> connection to an ADS machine and it would be a lot of trouble to
>> map and route specific ports in front of the virtual IP router to
>> manage specific ADS instances from port 389. I really like being
>> able to edit the XML file with a text editor.
>
> We will put the config into ADS _and_ you won't have to use a GUI
> to configure the server :). Open Ldap works exactly the wame way,
> using LDIF fiels to modify the configuration. Obviously, this is
> quite a good solution.

Umm, really?  You'd prefer to deal with  ldif files for the server
config rather than the validatable-by-most-xml-editors xbean-spring
configuration files?  So, whenever you edit something you get to
reload the ldif to find out if you made a typo?  Are most ldap users
much more comfortable with  ldif files than xml?

> Anyway, we won't be able to please all the users ... But having the
> configuration into the server will help a lot when dealing with
> replicated servers (no need to login on N servers, we will have a
> way to 'replicate' the configuration)

The replication seems like a plus for the store-in-ldap solution.  On
the other hand it could turn into a way to break all the servers at
once rather than only breaking one in case the edit didn't work :-)

thanks
david jencks