directory-dev mailing list archives

From Aron Sogor <a...@theatlantis.net>
Subject Re: Spring config / Config in DIT
Date Thu, 12 Jul 2007 06:20:17 GMT
It is late but let my creative comments fly, no offense Chris is a very
helpful guy, I am his fan(even if the rest would contradict).

Please consider that to me and perhaps others embedding ApacheDS, having
an xml to edit is a great thing!

- if it is not LDIF, and I have to start bootstrap the thing to create
my own config. Like the situation of the schema system right now where I
have to modify the build and work in your source tree to create my
custom bootstrap package.

- if LDIF... it is still a weird syntax to use for IOC assembly. I would
like to modify, add my custom interceptors, and components. One of the
thing that is less fortunate about the Store procedures and triggers
that I needed serialized class files, which is hassle for embedding. For
a build I would have to setup, config, dump config, teardown.

- I would not like to put/encode xml into an LDIF file.....

I realize that admin tools, vs embedding is in a constant battle.
embedding needs configuration without actually running the DS.
admin tool want to configure a bare instance, any possible aspects after
the DS is started.

Both are legit cases, with very different objectives.

I like DS because it is a Lego toolkit glued together by the IOC, Please
do not take that way from me.
DS is great because it is embeddable easy to customize keep that aspect
alive!

Aron