directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole.er...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] [Maven] How can we have one authoritative copy of the server.xml file?
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2007 08:56:25 GMT
SNIP

> I don't know much about EMF, but how is this better than having a
> project that just pops the server.xml into a jar file, and any project
> that needs the server.xml extracts it?

Now the model is decoupled from it's default serialization.  If we use EMF, we can update
the model (XML Schema, Ecore, Java Interface Annotations - Other 3rd party tools such as class
diagrams), and regenerate the xml default representation and the model code.  Thus everything
related to the model is always generated from a single source.

> It seems to me that the EMF
> solution just ties you to eclipse with no actual benefit.  What am I
> missing?

I think the tight coupling with the model is the primary benefit.  If EMF were used, we could
easily change the configuration model and generate the corresponding XML Schema, default serialization
server.xml instance, etc.  There are lots of other goodies that come with the EMF API, that
open up many other possibilities, but as far as keeping server.xml in sync everywhere this
is the primary benefit.

Cheers,
- Ole