directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Simplified server configuration with xbean-spring
Date Sun, 08 Jul 2007 21:48:12 GMT
Mark Swanson a écrit :

> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> <snip/>
> Still catching up -- working backwards... wrt the "problems"
>
> 1. I disagree that this file is complex. It's straightforward, simple,
> and sensible. Perhaps more docs would make it easier for folks but
> come on, this is light years ahead of other LDAP configs. This _small_
> XML config file is a _single_ file. I like it.
>
> Create a simple howto with samples on how to configure it for the most
> common use cases. Just enable folks to copy/paste the common config
> options.

Well, from your poit of view, as a experienced user, yes, the current
server.xml is not too complex. But :
- for new commers, it's quite difficult to get in (and I must admit that
Dave has a point ith XSchema)
- and the current configuration won't reflect the next level of
configuration we will reach when all what we want to add into the server
will be done.

> 2. Please _PLEASE_ DO NOT put config info into ADS. Do NOT make me use
> a GUI tool to configure ADS.  I can't always make an X connection to
> an ADS machine and it would be a lot of trouble to map and route
> specific ports in front of the virtual IP router to manage specific
> ADS instances from port 389. I really like being able to edit the XML
> file with a text editor.

We will put the config into ADS _and_ you won't have to use a GUI to
configure the server :). Open Ldap works exactly the wame way, using
LDIF fiels to modify the configuration. Obviously, this is quite a good
solution.

Anyway, we won't be able to please all the users ... But having the
configuration into the server will help a lot when dealing with
replicated servers (no need to login on N servers, we will have a way to
'replicate' the configuration)

Emmanuel