directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Chris Custine" <ccust...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] [CiDIT] Discussion
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2007 03:17:18 GMT
Hi All,
I am certainly in agreement with the desired functionality and end result of
having a remotely manageable configuration, but I have to come right out and
admit that I don't like the solution proposed here.  I really think that
this solution is too complicated, too invasive to users (and probably ADS
developers as well), and I actually think it will turn out to make some of
the intended goals harder to achieve and will affect the long term
manageability of the code base as well as any custom extensions written by
users.

Alex and I have already discussed our divergent viewpoints on this so I
guess this thread is the place to make them public record and involve the
community to see what everyone else thinks.  I have 3 pages of hand written
notes addressing the technical issues, but I want to keep this post brief
and just present the basic theme of what I am advocating as a creative
counter proposal.

What I have been proposing is to make use of the tools and plumbing that we
already have in order to extend our capabilities to fulfill the goals as
outlined in the CiDIT proposal.  Specifically, I think we can exploit a lot
more of the Spring framework dependency injection mechanism and use it to
accomplish these goals while maintaining a level of agility for configuring
and developing new extensions.  The current usage of Spring in the 1.5 code
base is sub-optimal and is actually causing more work than should be
necessary, so I think a fresh perspective and re-evaluation of our Spring
usage will unlock a lot of hidden gems that we can make use of to jump ahead
in reaching these goals, while at the same time making the configuration and
extension development more developer friendly.  I can post more detailed
information but I think I will do it on the wiki because it will be quite
long and painful to read in an email.

Hopefully some of these posts will bring this thread to life and start a
good discussion, I agree with Alex that this is a very important keystone
for the project and we need community involvement to help forge the
direction.

Thanks,
Chris