directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Chris Custine" <ccust...@apache.org>
Subject Spring config / Config in DIT
Date Thu, 12 Jul 2007 05:27:59 GMT
This is basically a response to some of the other threads regarding
server.xml and Config in DIT, but I don't want to derail those threads if
this turns out to be a stupid idea.

I have been thinking about this for a while, and I have to admit that I am
one of the guys that likes Spring and the xml config files.  Because of that
I have been thinking about possible interim steps so that we can get a good
grip on the needs and wants of the users while still solving some of our
internal problems that we want to address in the short term.  Based on the
recent threads about this topic, I get the distinct feeling that we might be
underestimating the affect this subject has as far as user impact and user
preferences and stand a good chance of irritating some people.

My latest idea seems really obvious the more I think about it...  For the
time being, why don't we just move towards storing the server.xml in its
entirety as a string attribute under ou=system somewhere and restructure the
startup sequence to properly read and load the Spring context from there?
This sounds crazy, but bear with me for a moment...  This would give us the
ability to "configure in DIT" so to speak, but would also expose some really
interesting options for remote configuration, like modifying the current
Apache DS Configuration plugin that Pierre-Arnaud has already written to
just read from and save to the server it is currently connected to.  We
could also do an interceptor or something similar on the server to write the
file out to disk after a remote edit and allow a startup option or quick
command line script to load a new file after you edit it in vi or similar.
This CLI could even put the data directly to the JDBM tables so that you can
make edits without the server running.

I have a couple of reasons for bringing this to the table.  First of all, I
am one of those dirty, sadistic perverts that likes editing xml files by
hand as opposed to many other forms of config...  xml is like a second
language to me  :-)

Second and most importantly for ApacheDS, is that an approach like this will
give us a great short term benefit of remote config and admin capability,
without all of the work.  The server config editor that PAM wrote looks
fantastic to me and (hopefully) we can just extend the concept and hack it
to do what is needed for this without re-writing all of it.  This way we can
do the Config in DIT in an incremental fashion and possibly save some grief
that we may encounter later.  We will also be able to move on more quickly
to more serious tasks and implement high visibility features.

I am sure there are some technicalities that may be obstacles to this
idealistic approach, but I have had worse ideas, so I thought I would bring
it up and present it.  What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Chris