directory-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] [Maven] How can we have one authoritative copy of the server.xml file?
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2007 04:59:17 GMT

On Jul 9, 2007, at 6:17 PM, Ole Ersoy wrote:

> Here's an EMF way:
>
> 1) Create an EMF Model of the server's configuration
> 2) Set defaults the mirror the server's current defaults
> 3) Have this model in it's own EMF model project
>
> Now whenever another project (Installer, Triplesec, ...) needs an
> instance of the server.xml with the defaults it can just serialize
> the model to where the server.xml document needs to be.  If custom
> settings need to be made, just make them on the model, and then
> serialize.  A simple mojo could be created to handle this, which
> would make the server.xml always be updated automatically in all
> projects that the mojo is plugged into.  This would also update all
> server.xml files, whenever the configuration model is updated.

I don't know much about EMF, but how is this better than having a
project that just pops the server.xml into a jar file, and any
project that needs the server.xml extracts it?  It seems to me that
the EMF solution just ties you to eclipse with no actual benefit.
What am I missing?

thanks
david jencks