I think it's really important to standardize the process around the
submission of tests, with a focus on minimizing the effort for
submission and integration.  So we could start with an archetype like
that and just document how to go about using it and what it contains.

You mean like this?

     http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxSRVx10/Reporting+Bugs

I'm thinking each directory project should have
an archetype with canned setups, and then contributors just add more as
needed.  Thoughts?

Hmmmm you mean providing a bunch of different test archetypes?

Alex