But you can't blame me for trying to reverse this change... I have a couple of sad faced developers back here that now need to change and retest their code ;-)

I'll await any final fix and in the mean time change our use of BasicAttributes().

SimonT

01 June 2007 16:29
To: "Apache Directory Developers List" <dev@directory.apache.org>
cc:
From: "Alex Karasulu" <akarasulu@apache.org>
Subject: Re: NPE Defect in Latest Directory - 1.0.2

Sorry (unfortunately) no.  We cannot do that.  The old behavior was just plain wrong.

Alex

On 6/1/07, Simon.Temple@saaconsultants.com <Simon.Temple@saaconsultants.com> wrote:
Hi Alex

Your suggestion makes good sense, a developer would get early visibility of any attempt to use the "wrong type" of BasicAttributes.

However, I now have code that used to work with DS 1.0.0 that no longer works with DS 1.0.2, furthermore I have code that will work if used with a remote context (i.e. via LDAP communications) and won't if I run with an embedded directory context.

It's the inconsistent behaviour of the same interface between versions and remote/local contexts that I have found confusing.

Is there any way we can have the old behaviour back where it didn't see to matter what type of BasicAttributes() we used?  :o)

Kind Regards

Simon Temple

01 June 2007 15:58