+1 on all of Emmanuel's points.  Let me add one additional option.

We could write some protective code to detect when the BasicAttributes is created without the
boolean argument for ignoring case.  We should have some kind of RuntimeException for it.
Could be a ConfigurationException maybe?  Don't know exactly but basically we need:

BasicAttributes attrs = ...
if ( ! attrs.isCaseIgnored() )
{
     throw new "something that tells the user to correct this miss configuration of BasicAttributes";
}

WDYT?

Alex

Hi Simon,

you can raise a JIRA, because we should not allow NPE in the server.

Now, regarding Attributes(), you should *always* pass true as an
argument. This is a major drawback of JNDI as a generic API for
directory, because it does not take into account the underlying
directory it has to deal with. There is nothing we can do about it,
except fixing NPEs, when it comes to use ADS embedded (meaning :
without the network layer which automatically substitutes
BasicAttributes to a more ldap compliant BasicAttributesImpl...)

Emmanuel

--
Regards,
Cordialement,