This is somewhat of a known issue with build order.  I don't understand it completely, but basically you have to make sure that you have explicitly done a mvn install on apacheds before running tests, and this probably needs to be done on your machine any time you checkout a new version or sitch to a different branch that you have never built locally before.  This is relevant to the core-plugin and bootstrapping the schemas.

I probably explained this incorrectly, but suffice to say that this is a known gotcha.

Chris