I have to admit that I also mainly use Inkscape for doing pretty diagrams these days.  Inkscape has connectors which follow contours and follow shapes when moved just like Visio and Dia, and has the benefit of being SVG based so you can use the vectors in other artwork without exporting bitmaps and suffering from pixelation upon scaling.  It may be just slightly more work if you have never used it before, but it is pretty easy to make good looking graphics once you get going.

I have attached a simple diagram that I made in about 2 minutes with Inkscape.

+1 for Inkscape.

Chris

On 6/8/07, Ole Ersoy < ole.ersoy@gmail.com> wrote:
I like inkscape for general graphics.  .45 added some really nice features.

There's a uml modeling tool called "Green" (Eclipse Plugin) that looks really easy to work with.  Has both forward and reverse engineering for diagramming, so it could read code and generate diagrams.