I have been thinking about a web based admin app for quite some time as well...  I think maybe we are even talking about 2 different things here (basic internal admin app and larger enterprise admin app).  I have even gotten to the point of thinking that the basic embedded Jetty app that you are already discussing should be part of the OSS project, but maybe a larger Enterprise app is a seperate thing altogether, almost like Studio (maybe Studio Web).

I think we are obviously occupied with many other more important things at the moment, but I can tell you that my experience with client preference has been the opposite of yours.  My larger clients would count a web based admin app as a postitive feature, and an installed GUI as a negative in product assesment.  This is mainly due to the strict deployment and evaluation policies for desktop applications since neither of them allow direct install of software and require automated software push for inventory and license control, even for niche admin apps like this.

Anyway, this is a complicated discussion, but at some point I would like to re-visit this when we can give it more time.  I have a long list of features that I have been building in my head, so maybe at some point we can document some ideas and evaluate it from there?

Thanks,
Chris

I agree with Emmanuel.  Once we have the configuration in the DIT administrators (these guys don't like UIs) will just use LDAP to configure the server.  Those needing a UI can use Studio to do the job.   RCP is way more preferrable than using a web UI in my opinion.

Alex

On 6/3/07, Emmanuel Lecharny < elecharny@apache.org> wrote:
Ersin Er a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> We need some sort of Web based configuration at some point. Although
> Configuration in DIT is cool, some tasks are better handled with a Web
> based UI. Here is a mock of OpenDS Web Control Center:
>
> https://opends.dev.java.net/nonav/public/docs/ui-docs/mockups/html/
>
> It looks like SunDS's current DSCC application.

Well, I think this is not the way we should go.

Web based configuration is obviously attractive, but this is only about
presentation. We have Apache Directory Studio which gives a much better
UI than any web UI. What we only need is to add some HTTP connector to
the server, and this is something we almost have, with Jetty integrated
into ADS, with the DSML codec. Using those elements will allow us to
have a better UI, without spending months building a specific WebApp
with all the burden it carries (new port declaration, installing a web
application beside the server, etc).

Also, I don't think that having a Web based configuration tool is
opposed to have all the configuratuon stored in the DIT.

The main problem we currently have rightnow is that our configuration is
file based, and this is the main issue, IMHO.

wdyt ?

Emmanuel