It also looks like Globus uses LDAP for metrics and monitoring and I found this doc which looked like it answers some of the basic questions:
http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:Bl8kdc2iKBYJ:ftp://ftp.globus.org/pub/globus/papers/ldap_in_globus.ps.gz+globus+MDS+ldap&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=7&gl=us

That doc is a postscript file filtered through the Google text translator.  If you want the full doc it will be available st the to of the page.

Chris