directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Moving from IoHandlerChain to something easier to debug
Date Sat, 23 Jun 2007 11:30:03 GMT

> Enrique Rodriguez a écrit :

SNIP ..

> On 6/21/07, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
> > It would help MINA developers to know
> > whether to use the IoHandlerChain or not.
>
> If you are going to use a Chain patter, then I guess that the important
> point is to think about the problem it solves. For instance, monitoring
> by inserting loggers could be a good usage. But the main advantage of
> chain parttern is its versatility : you can change the order of
> handlers, or simply add or remove handlers on demand. If you never do
> that, then using a chain pattern is questionable (IMHO).

With MINA filters I think we can still achieve the level of logging that
you're talking
about but perhaps not at the same resolution so I think the dynamism we gain
from the chain pattern is somewhat redundant.  I don't think it's necessary
here
since the protocol is relatively static.  Actually the chain pattern might
benefit
LDAP more since it can introduce new mechanisms for things like SASL,
Controls,
and extended operations  but there might be more manageable patterns for
this.

Alex