directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Installers] Base directory for data
Date Mon, 04 Jun 2007 08:54:38 GMT
Hi Chris,

On 6/3/07, Chris Custine <chris.custine@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
> As most of you know, part of the installers and daemon rework I am doing
> involves detaching the data storage directory from the main install image so
> that the data can be stored seperately to ease upgrading and running
> multiple server instances.  Currently all of the data dir, log dir, etc. are
> statically configured to be relative to the base install dir.  To make this
> more dynamic and configurable I propose to add some java system properties
> that can be passed to each instance and use sensible defaults if none are
> set.  Current server.xml files will continue to work because the partition
> dir will still be relative from the base data dir that is specified.

That worked out well :).

For Linux/Unix, I believe the correct default will be /var/lib/apacheds, but
> I am not so sure about WIndows.  At this point I am thinking about keeping
> the data in the base install dir as a default for WIndows.

I agree and it makes sense for Windows since usually apps just deposit all
their stuff in their
installation folders in "Program Files".  There is no standard around this
like there is in Linux
which goes to show you just how little thought the Windows people give to
multiuser systems
and server applications.

I will start documenting all of this better in the next few days but I
> wanted to see if anyone has any thoughts on this part before I continue.

Thanks,
Alex