directory-dev mailing list archives

From Simon.Tem...@saaconsultants.com
Subject Re: NPE Defect in Latest Directory - 1.0.2
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2007 16:15:43 GMT

Emmanuel

I guess my point here was that if you intend to throw an exception when an
attempt is made to use BasicAttributes() rather than BasicAttributes(true)
then the exception should be thrown whether using a remote or an embedded
server (if only for interface consistency).  Would you agree?

- Simon Temple

01 June 2007 16:30
To: "Apache Directory Developers List" <dev@directory.apache.org>
cc:
From: "Emmanuel Lecharny" <elecharny@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: NPE Defect in Latest Directory - 1.0.2

Hi Simon,

the difference between remote and embedded server is natural : when
using a remote server, all the messages are encoded into an ASN.1 BER
encoded byte array, and decoded on the server, but we use our home
made BasicAttributes, which is case insesitive.

Emmanuel

On 6/1/07, Simon.Temple@saaconsultants.com
<Simon.Temple@saaconsultants.com> wrote:

> Hi Alex
>
> Your suggestion makes good sense, a developer would get early visibility
of
> any attempt to use the "wrong type" of BasicAttributes.
>
> However, I now have code that used to work with DS 1.0.0 that no longer
> works with DS 1.0.2, furthermore I have code that will work if used with
> remote context (i.e. via LDAP communications) and won't if I run with an
> embedded directory context.
>
> It's the inconsistent behaviour of the same interface between versions
and
> remote/local contexts that I have found confusing.
>
> Is there any way we can have the old behaviour back where it didn't see
> matter what type of BasicAttributes() we used?  :o)
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Simon Temple
>
> 01 June 2007 15:58
> To: "Apache Directory Developers List" <dev@directory.apache.org>,
> elecharny@iktek.com
> cc:
> From: "Alex Karasulu" <akarasulu@apache.org>
> Subject: Re: NPE Defect in Latest Directory - 1.0.2
>
> +1 on all of Emmanuel's points.  Let me add one additional option.
>
> We could write some protective code to detect when the BasicAttributes is
> created without the
> boolean argument for ignoring case.  We should have some kind of
> RuntimeException for it.
> Could be a ConfigurationException maybe?  Don't know exactly but
basically
> we need:
>
> BasicAttributes attrs = ...
> if ( ! attrs.isCaseIgnored() )
> {
>      throw new "something that tells the user to correct this miss
> configuration of BasicAttributes";
> }
>
> WDYT?
>
> Alex
>

> On 6/1/07, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Simon,
> >
> > you can raise a JIRA, because we should not allow NPE in the server.
> >
> > Now, regarding Attributes(), you should *always* pass true as an
> > argument. This is a major drawback of JNDI as a generic API for
> > directory, because it does not take into account the underlying
> > directory it has to deal with. There is nothing we can do about it,
> > except fixing NPEs, when it comes to use ADS embedded (meaning :
> > without the network layer which automatically substitutes
> > BasicAttributes to a more ldap compliant BasicAttributesImpl...)
> >
> > Emmanuel
> >
> > On 6/1/07, Simon.Temple@saaconsultants.com
> > < Simon.Temple@saaconsultants.com> wrote:
> > >

> > > We've found a problem with DS 1.0.2.  This problem only exists when
> running
> > > with DS embedded in the same VM.
> > > Running the same code remotely (outside of DS VM) works fine.
> > >
> > > Example code:

> > >             Attributes attrs = new BasicAttributes();
> > >             attrs.put("objectClass", "organizationalUnit");
> [...]
context.createSubcontext("ou=Test",
> > > attrs);
> > >

> > > Exception from createSubcontext():
> > >
> > > Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
> > >  at

org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.util.AttributeUtils.containsValueCaseIgnore(AttributeUtils.java:309)
> > >  at

org.apache.directory.server.core.schema.SchemaService.assertAllAttributesAllowed
> (SchemaService.java:1806)
> > >  at

org.apache.directory.server.core.schema.SchemaService.check(SchemaService.java:1624)
> > >  at

org.apache.directory.server.core.schema.SchemaService.add(SchemaService.java
> :1636)
> > >  at

org.apache.directory.server.core.interceptor.InterceptorChain$Entry$1.add(InterceptorChain.java:1181)

--
Regards,
Cordialement,