directory-dev mailing list archives

From Simon.Tem...@saaconsultants.com
Subject Re: NPE Defect in Latest Directory - 1.0.2
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2007 15:25:40 GMT
Hi Alex

Your suggestion makes good sense, a developer would get early visibility of any attempt to
use the "wrong type" of BasicAttributes.

However, I now have code that used to work with DS 1.0.0 that no longer works with DS 1.0.2,
furthermore I have code that will work if used with a remote context (i.e. via LDAP communications)
and won't if I run with an embedded directory context.

It's the inconsistent behaviour of the same interface between versions and remote/local contexts
that I have found confusing.

Is there any way we can have the old behaviour back where it didn't see to matter what type
of BasicAttributes() we used?  :o)

Kind Regards

Simon Temple

01 June 2007 15:58
To: "Apache Directory Developers List" <dev@directory.apache.org>, elecharny@iktek.com
cc:
From: "Alex Karasulu" <akarasulu@apache.org>
Subject: Re: NPE Defect in Latest Directory - 1.0.2

+1 on all of Emmanuel's points.  Let me add one additional option.

We could write some protective code to detect when the BasicAttributes is created without
the
boolean argument for ignoring case.  We should have some kind of RuntimeException for it.

Could be a ConfigurationException maybe?  Don't know exactly but basically we need:

BasicAttributes attrs = ...
if ( ! attrs.isCaseIgnored() )
{
     throw new "something that tells the user to correct this miss configuration of BasicAttributes";

}

WDYT?

Alex

Hi Simon,

you can raise a JIRA, because we should not allow NPE in the server.

Now, regarding Attributes(), you should *always* pass true as an
argument. This is a major drawback of JNDI as a generic API for
directory, because it does not take into account the underlying
directory it has to deal with. There is nothing we can do about it,
except fixing NPEs, when it comes to use ADS embedded (meaning :
without the network layer which automatically substitutes
BasicAttributes to a more ldap compliant BasicAttributesImpl...)

Emmanuel

--
Regards,
Cordialement,