directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole.er...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Java to LDAP Type Mapping] Double, Long, etc.
Date Sat, 23 Jun 2007 15:22:39 GMT

Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Using serialization may present issues when trying to figure out how to
> create indices that allow for correct sorting to evaluate ordering
> assertions
> like for example:
>
> (foo > 2.95)
>
> Just a thought.  There's got to be existing data types out there in LDAP
> that map well to Java types that are part of existing published schemas.

Yeah - I was hoping to find something like like this:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/guide/jdbc/getstart/mapping.html

This has a table that maps sql types to java types.  I did do quite a bit of searching for
something similar for LDAP.  Right now the DAS maps everything that is not a Boolean or Integer
to the LDAP String syntax, and then restores correct type on a read, much like an IoC container.
 Even though this probably covers 90% of the use cases, from a Marketing point of view I think
it sounds much better to say that ApacheDS supports decimals and queries on decimals.  Might
be something for the road map.

Cheers,
- Ole

SNIP