directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole.er...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Java to LDAP Type Mapping] Double, Long, etc.
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2007 19:31:42 GMT

Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
SNIP
> <totally OT>
> I personnaly think that Int, Double, Long, Character, Int are classes
> which should have never existed in Java. They have been created a long
> time ago in purpose, because they wanted int, long, float, boolean, etc
> to be native types for performance reasons. This leads to complexity,
> and have abused a lot of newbies (me included when I started in java
> back in 1996). They suddenly decided that auto-boxing was needed just
> because M$ did it in C#.

Yeah - I think I use String 90% of the time, boolean the other 8%, and the other 2%
are what's left over.

> Now, some may object that those classes are immutable, and this was the
> reason they were created.
> </totally OT>
>
> Ok, now, I would say that you should simply store int, long, float, etc
> instead of the associated classes.

Oh Yeah - Sorry I should have distinguished between primitives and classes.  I really meant
the primitives.  Originally I was just planning on using the AcceptAllSyntaxChecker for all
the java types, and then I would just convert them back to whatever they are after they cross
the wire and arrive at the client.  So I tried it out, and I noticed that all the values come
back in hex.  I could convert from hex to the corresponding java type, but then I thought
"What about queries?".  So I figured I'd better map them to LDAP syntaxes, so that queries
go OK.  So integers map fine, but if someone wanted to query on decimals?  Probably a low
utility scenario, but I think a lot of people would be "Pleased" if their decimals could be
handled by the server.  I looked at rfc2252 and it sort of looks like LDAP has decided to
leave decimals to RDBs.  The only thing that looks like it might fit is "Numeric String".
 Thoughts?

Thanks,
- Ole