directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Zoerner <ste...@labeo.de>
Subject Re: Groovy and LDAP, how to accomplish this?
Date Sat, 16 Jun 2007 21:28:21 GMT
Hi Alex!

Thanks for your feedback!

Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Yeah Groovy is cool stuff and would be great for LDAP scripts if there
> was a good JNDI
> binding for Groovy.  I spoke to James Strachan a while back about adding
> support to
> Groovy for LDAP.  If I can remember correctly (many beers went down that
> evening :)) he
> recommended adding a binding to Groovy for JNDI.  This binding can
> prevent some of
> the issues you're encountering with some syntactic sugar so you can
> avoid constructs
> like " tori.attrs.cn <http://tori.attrs.cn>".

What exactly is a "binding to Groovy for JNDI"? Something
Groovy-specific? I am a Groovy newbie, you know ... Anyway, I was able
to modify my rookie attempt and I am now able to write "tori.cn", both
in search results and when adding a new entry. Adding looks like this in
my "solution", btw.:

---
heather = [:]
heather.objectclass = ['top', 'person']
heather.sn = 'Nova'
heather.cn = 'Heather Nova'

con.add('cn=Heather Nova,dc=example,dc=com', heather)
---

I like it syntactically :-)

> Perhaps we can look into this.  I sure would like to see Groovy scripts
> used for SPs and
> for testing since it can lead to cleaner and more succinct code.
> However I think we need
> to add this binding.  If you like I can ask James to comment on how best
> we can do this.
>
> Also I'm +1 on bringing about a subproject for this via a sandboxed
> effort.

I have documented my attempt here
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxSBOX/Groovy+LDAP

Consider this as a proof of concept. Only a few operations are
implemented yet. Nevertheless, the source code (both Java classes and
Groovy example scripts) can be found here
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/sandbox/szoerner/groovyldap

It would really be great if James can comment whether this is a way we
can go, or if it it totally nonsense and there are better approaches
available.

Basically, the syntax in the scripts is most important for me. It should
be easy to write simple LDAP scripts which perform things which are not
possible from the command line with one command (ldapmodify etc.).
Simple reports for instance. LDAP abstraction (like JNDI) is a no-no.
One target group are administrators,who are not familiar with JNDI (but
LDAP).

Thanks in advance and greetings from Hamburg,
     Stefan