directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <seelm...@apache.org>
Subject [Studio] Rename progress
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2007 21:17:59 GMT
Hi developers,

I just wanted to report the progress in renaming LS to Apache Directory
Studio.

Christine updated all labels and links on the website (with some magic).
And she replaced all visible labels and links in the Studio application.

StefanZ updated the DOAP file and Studio is now listed on
projects.apache.org.

Ersin added some rewrite rules so that the Studio homepage is accessible
with directory.apache.org/studio.

I updated labels and links on elispeplugincentral.com and some wikipedia
pages.

Here are the next steps we have to perform:

(1) Rename svn directory from ldapstudio to studio

(2) Rename svn projects and update and build scripts
I would suggest the following new project names (I added "ldap" prefix
to the browser projects and modified schemas plugins to schemaeditor):
  studio-aciitemeditor
  studio-apacheds-configuration
  studio-apacheds-configuration-feature
  studio-apacheds-configuration-help
  studio-ldapbrowser-common
  studio-ldapbrowser-core
  studio-ldapbrowser-feature
  studio-ldapbrowser-help
  studio-ldapbrowser-ui
  studio-dsml-parser
  studio-jars
  studio-ldifeditor
  studio-proxy
  studio-rcp
  studio-rcp-feature
  studio-rcp-help
  studio-schemaeditor-feature
  studio-schemaeditor-help
  studio-schemaeditor-plugin
  studio-updatesite
  studio-valueeditors

(3) Rename Java package names
I would recomment to replact org.apache.directory.ldapstudio with
org.apache.directory.studio for all plugins. As in (2) I would like to
prefix the browser packages with "ldap" and to modify the schemas
packages to schemaeditor:
  org.apache.directory.studio.ldapbrowser.
  org.apache.directory.studio.schemaeditor.
Impacts:
* All connectons in the LDAP browser will be lost. We use the
java.beans.XML(De|En)coder to save the ConnectionParameter objects in
xml, it uses the FQCN to save/load the connections.
Resolution:
* We have to improve the ConnectionManager to replace all old package
names with the new package names in the connections.xml

(4) Rename plugin IDs
We should rename the plugin IDs according to the package names.
Impacts:
* All dialog settings will be lost. Each plugin has its own directory in
the workspace under .ldapstudio/.metadata/.plugins/ according to its
plugin ID. When modifying the plugin ID the old settings are no more
accessible.
* All preferences will be lost. Each plugin has its own preferences file
under .ldapstudio/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.runtime/.settings
according to its plugin ID. When modifying the plugin ID the old
prefernces are no more accessible.
* All connections will be lost because the connection.xml file is stored
under the plugin specific directory.
* Trouble with updates, see (7)
Resolution:
* Ignore first and second point, advise the user to redo his/her
preferences.
* We have to improve the ConnectionManager to copy the connections.xml
from the old state location to the new one.

(5) Modify install path and application name for the RCP applicaton
Impacts:
* Duplicate installation folders
* Duplicate entries in windows start menu
Resolution:
* Advise the user to deinstall LDAP Studio before installing Apache
Directory Studio.

(6) Modify workspace folder in configuration/config.ini
Currently we use @user.home/.ldapstudio as workspace folder. We should
change this to @user.home/.apachedirectorystudio.
Impacts:
* The current settings and connections will be lost
Resolution:
* Advise the user to rename the workspace folder

(7) Modify update site
We have to modify the feature and plugin IDs in the update site.
Impacts:
* When updating via the update site or when just adding the new plugin,
both plugins with the old ID and the new ID are enabled. All the
functionality (Perspectives, Views, Wizards) will be there twice!
However the new plugin isn't started automatically and the old one keeps
active.
Resolution:
* We have to check if it is possible to activate the new plugin and
disable or uninstall the old plugins.

I will create some Jiras for these tasks.

Kind Regards,
Stefan Seelmann