directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Zoerner <ste...@labeo.de>
Subject Re: New configuration
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2007 20:44:36 GMT
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> I'm also thinking about Stefan Zörner who is writing his third version
> of his book, I don't want him to have to rewrite parts of it just
> because he has snapshots of the old config in it ;) (may be it's a good
> way for him to get a contract for a forth version of his book ;)

The book will still be server independent, I do not explain how to
configure ApacheDS. Of course I mention ApacheDS (or should I say
"recommend"?), but there is no configuration in the printed text (only
in the download files for the book).

But let me say that I consider the new server.xml much easier to
configure. The structure is clearer, and things are easy which where
hard in the past. Well done, Enrique.

For instance NTP. I have just enabled it on port 10123 (straight forward
in server.xml), wrote three lines of Java code which uses the
commons-net client, and now I know what time it is! I am looking forward
to enable the rest.

By the way: Does anybody know a graphical Windows NTP client (aka
clock), which allows me to specify the port? It would make a nice screen
shot for the documentation. I do not want to force Windows users to use
port 123 for first NTP steps -- XP already uses it, and they will have
to disable a service ...

Thanks in advance,
     Stefan