directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Web Based Control; OpenDS Control Center
Date Mon, 04 Jun 2007 15:26:31 GMT
Chris Custine a écrit :

> <snip/>
>

>> Sounds good and I hope you don't think I am shooting down your idea.
>> I do
>> think it is a good one but it just comes down to prioritization, time to
>> market (can't believe I just used this term on an OS mailing list :)
>> ), and
>> the impact that will result.  I do want to do it though but the when
>> and the
>> how is what I am concerned with.
>>

> No, I know you aren't shutting it down.  I also think that some of the
> features I am thinking about are crossing over into the IDM realm anyway
> (delegated user management, custom user friendly screens, etc.), so thats
> why I think it is a pretty big discussion.  I just didn't want to leave
> Ersin stranded on his first email since I had some similar ideas.

Guys, you both have really good ideas. So does Ersin. My personal
opinion is that having a Web UI + a RCP GUI would be the best solution.
But when I look at the schedule, that's a different story :)

Alex is right when he says that a configuration GUI is mainly used by
admins, which has almost all the wanted accesses on their computers. But
Chris is also right, because you have so many hurdles in front of you
when it comes to install an application on your computer in big
companies ... Plus the fact that asking for a new protocol and port
being allowed on the firewall can be simply impossible sometime...

Damn, this is a complex world !

What about slowing down the planet rotation speed to 48 hours ?

Emmanuel