directory-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Ole Ersoy <ole.er...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [jira] Closed: (DIRSERVER-950) Server Left in Unstable State
Date Sat, 02 Jun 2007 22:20:26 GMT
Emmanuel,

Thanks for all the comments.  I read them carefully a few times I did and I agree with everything
you said.  I'll take notes in a separate memo pad, and then come up with a quick concise summary
for JIRA.

=======================================================================
3) You pointed us to a test which is somewhere on the web. Don't do that, it's not convenient,
because your test will be very contextual. Just attach the whole working test. 
=======================================================================

Sure - I like quick self contained tests.  In this case "The Whole Working Test" is a fairly
massive test setup, along with the test.  Therefore there is an option I would like us to
consider because I would have to invest a significant amount of time in translating the "Massive
test setup" into a single self contained test, in addition to the 2-3 hours I spent documenting
and isolating this thing.  

We could do this:
svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/sandbox/oersoy/das.testing/das.ldap.parent
das.ldap.parent

Import the child projects into eclipse.  Run the test described.  View the context ou=objectClasses,
cn=ecore, ou=schema in LS.  Verify my observation, being mainly that this context is now "Broken".

This should take about 2 minutes.  If for some reason my observation is missing come back
to me and ask me to code a self contained test.  I'll be happy to do it.  Is this a fair request?
 Ideally I think myself and the person fixing this would work together, and come up with an
integrated test suite targeted at keeping these types of fixes fixed.  If I code another test
it could be that the person I throw it over the wall to ends up recoding it anyways.  I'll
be glad to help in any way I can, I just want us to be smart in terms of how we work together.

=======================================================================
Last thing : you don't have to reinstall the server : just delete the 
data (a directory called example.com, or whatever name you gave to your 
partition, plus the schema directory in server-work). It will do the trick.
=======================================================================

Oh OK - I looked under apacheds-1.5.0/var...and did not see a server-work... Also all the
entries created by the test are under ou=schema.  Does this still apply?  I'm guessing if
I delete the entire schema partition, the server will just recreate it when it restarts?

Thanks,
- Ole


Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> Ole,
> 
> i'm pleased you understand that there were a pb with the JIRA, but I 
> also have to tell you, after having read it again, that the pb seems to 
> be tricky, so I understand you had to track it step by step.
> 
> However, it would be good if you try to follow a better heuristic when 
> tracking a bug, and filing a JIRA. Here are some comments on each of 
> your additions in the initial JIRA :
> 
> 1) The first comment was fine, except that it was pretty long, and did 
> not help to understand what is happening, except that the server has a 
> problem. If you find something which is not expected, and you feel like 
> it might be a bug, then first try to find the *shortest* possible 
> description, or write a test which expose the problem clearly. A few 
> lines of code are better than 200 lines of comments (remember that we 
> all speak 'java', but that we are mainly not english speakers)
> 
> 2) The second comment is totally out of scope. It should not have been 
> added. The exception was clear enough abouyt what happened
> 
> 3) You pointed us to a test which is somewhere on the web. Don't do 
> that, it's not convenient, because your test will be very contextual. 
> Just attach the whole working test.
> 
> 4) You say that you can reproduce the bug. Fine. Then just attach the 
> new test, with a single explanation. Again, a few lines of JAVA are 
> better than 10 lines of comments. However, the second paragraph is 
> needed, because it carries interesting informations
> 
> 5) The best comment you added, when I read it for the third time, 
> because now I can understand what happens. But be factual, and try to 
> give the simplest possible explaination for the poor committer who will 
> try to understand the problem.
> 
> I would add that JIRA is not a Memo pad, so if you can spend some more 
> time to analyze the problem, then you will add less comments and 
> probably more accurates.
> 
> Remember one thing : if the bug report is fuzzy, then the fix will be 
> fuzzy too. Of course, sometime, this is not easy to know what is the 
> cause, but if it's difficult for you, it'as also difficult for us. You 
> have an advantage, you are just trying to make the test working, so you 
> are very focused on the problem, when we are just doing something 
> probably not related. If you want us to be able to dive into the problem 
> fast enough, you have to keep it very clear.
> 
> Last thing : you don't have to reinstall the server : just delete the 
> data (a directory called example.com, or whatever name you gave to your 
> partition, plus the schema directory in server-work). It will do the trick.
> 
> Emmanuel
> 
> 

Mime
View raw message