directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Chris Custine" <chris.cust...@gmail.com>
Subject Maven pom fixes
Date Thu, 21 Jun 2007 21:48:56 GMT
While I was looking into the server-main logging issue (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-979), I came to the
conclusion that our logging config in the poms needs some cleanup so I want
to make the following proposal.

1). Add slf4j default dependencies to parent pom.xml for each project such
as daemon, shared, apacheds).  There is a lot of duplication of logging
setup in every subproject, so this would configure the default as slf4j-api
for compile scope and either slf4j-simple or slf4j-nlog4j for test scope
(requires concrete slf4j impl for JUnit tests).  This would mean that normal
subprojects don't need additional dependencies in their pom and will use the
default which works for almost all 35-40 subprojects except those that
require actual runtime packaging.  For the remaining projects that require
runtime dependencies such as server-installers, server-main, and the
plugins, we just add a concrete slf4j implementation like nlog4j to the
subproject pom and it will package up all the dependencies.  This config
will also help fix https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-979 and
it limits transitive dependencies in our maven artifacts so that users can
use their own impls.

2). Replace commons-logging with jcl104-over-slf4j which is a clone of
commons-logging that will just defer to slf4j.  Commons-logging is required
at runtime by spring and possibly some other dependencies but it has some
peculiar problems that aren't obvious.  If anyone wants more info on this I
can go on for days about it...

I was also thinking we could provide maven profiles for specifying the
inclusion of different log impls in server-main since this has come up a few
times.  The installers will package nlog4j as a default, and the user can
change them out if required.

I would also like to go ahead and update the apacheds, shared, and daemon
parent poms to *-parent since it also requires modifying all of the poms in
each subproject (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-977) as
long as no one objects.  I have all of these changes running locally and
have tested them out quite a bit today.

Sorry this is a little lengthy.  Does anyone have any opinions or ideas?

Chris