directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Chris Custine" <chris.cust...@gmail.com>
Subject [Installers] Base directory for data
Date Sun, 03 Jun 2007 18:38:05 GMT
Hi Everyone,
As most of you know, part of the installers and daemon rework I am doing
involves detaching the data storage directory from the main install image so
that the data can be stored seperately to ease upgrading and running
multiple server instances.  Currently all of the data dir, log dir, etc. are
statically configured to be relative to the base install dir.  To make this
more dynamic and configurable I propose to add some java system properties
that can be passed to each instance and use sensible defaults if none are
set.  Current server.xml files will continue to work because the partition
dir will still be relative from the base data dir that is specified.

For Linux/Unix, I believe the correct default will be /var/lib/apacheds, but
I am not so sure about WIndows.  At this point I am thinking about keeping
the data in the base install dir as a default for WIndows.

I will start documenting all of this better in the next few days but I
wanted to see if anyone has any thoughts on this part before I continue.

Thanks,
Chris