directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Chris Custine" <chris.cust...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Web Based Control; OpenDS Control Center
Date Sun, 03 Jun 2007 17:00:46 GMT
I have been thinking about a web based admin app for quite some time as
well...  I think maybe we are even talking about 2 different things here
(basic internal admin app and larger enterprise admin app).  I have even
gotten to the point of thinking that the basic embedded Jetty app that you
are already discussing should be part of the OSS project, but maybe a larger
Enterprise app is a seperate thing altogether, almost like Studio (maybe
Studio Web).

I think we are obviously occupied with many other more important things at
the moment, but I can tell you that my experience with client preference has
been the opposite of yours.  My larger clients would count a web based admin
app as a postitive feature, and an installed GUI as a negative in product
assesment.  This is mainly due to the strict deployment and evaluation
policies for desktop applications since neither of them allow direct install
of software and require automated software push for inventory and license
control, even for niche admin apps like this.

Anyway, this is a complicated discussion, but at some point I would like to
re-visit this when we can give it more time.  I have a long list of features
that I have been building in my head, so maybe at some point we can document
some ideas and evaluate it from there?

Thanks,
Chris