I think with this mess it is critical to take issues one step at a time instead
of mixing everything together.  I started with the root pom because this is the
first step in a top down approach which IMO is the best way to procede because
it effects the levels below it.

The scope of this is so large that we cannot afford to jumble up all the problems
together.  Let's start at the top and work ourselves down.  Perhaps several passes
are required to figure out the ultimate configuration for both SVN and Maven but
it must be done in peices.  Either this or I can take the lead and just clean it all
then document it.  However I'm trying to involve others to make this a collaborative
process.  However to make the collaborative process work we need some focus on
each issue first in isolation then within the big picture.  Otherwise this is not going to
succeed or result in an even more convoluted mess.

Alex
I forgot to add two points :
- we need to bring back to the root data like resources/format.xml, so
that committers can use it
when writing code ( I hated having to browse dozens of directories to
find it last night ...)
- we also have to figure what could happen to next release (2.0, 3.0)
regarding this common POM

What about creating a new project which allow users to compile the
whole project (apacheds + kerberos + daemon + shared) ? Note that
kerberos is *not* a project right now, as it is embedded into ads, but
it might be a good idea to separate it from ADS (not sure this is
possible though ...)

Thanks !

Emmanuel

--