This is great.  Thanks for the clarification.  BTW I really would like to extend this base
ServiceConfiguration bean for these reasons and more perhaps if we start putting the
configuration into the DIT and connecting it together with the ConfigAdmin service.

Do you recommend doing so for the Jetty based HTTP service even if there is some
additional properties that will not be utilized?

Alex

> While looking at the SASL branch code for inspiration I noticed that you
> removed some of the
> boolean parameters in the ServerStartupConfiguration (SSC) for toggling on
> and off the various optional
> ApacheDS services.  Previously we had enableNtp, enableKerberos etc.
>
> I was wondering how now the server determines whether or not to enable and
> optional service?

Since every service can be enabled/disabled, I put it on the base
ServiceConfiguration.  The methods are isEnabled() and setEnabled().
Note that in Spring xml the property name is simply "enabled," for
example:

<property name="enabled" value="true" />

You can review complete examples in the server.xml in server-main.
This is also in the Confluence doco, for example for Kerberos at [1].

Also note that the default is 'false' but that LDAP overrides this so
'enabled' = 'true'.

Hope that makes sense,

Enrique

[1] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxSRVx10/Kerberos+Protocol+Configuration