directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Emmanuel Lecharny" <>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] Embedded http service part2
Date Mon, 21 May 2007 17:57:40 GMT
> > So far, the JVM use the memory as a whole, even if you have many
> > containers. If tomcat or jetty sucks all the memory, then you are dead.
> I guess if a shop has Tomcat and wants to run Tomcat
> only, as long as the webapps are independent of the container,
> they can just drop them in.

A webapp is, by essence, totally independent if the the container. This is
what the J2EE spec is all about.

Hence they would not incur any extra memory cost from running Jetty
> as well.

As it has been stated before, you can disable Jetty from the beginning.

For instance if a shop running Germonimo wanted to run the webapps,
> all the instructions would need to say is "Drop in the webapps", start
> ApacheDS with Jetty turned off, and you're set.

This is exactly what you can done right now, and the link pushed by Stefan
explains how to do it.

If the webapps are as modular and independent from ApacheDS as possible,
> it would maximize developer interest and momentum.

If you are talking about having a webapp which does not embed ADS, then this
is not the good ML to talk about it : try Geronimo ML or tomcat ML ;)
If you are thinking about communication between a webapp and a LdapServer
outside the container, then JNDI is the key.

Emmanuel L├ęcharny

View raw message