directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Emmanuel Lecharny" <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] Embedded http service part2
Date Mon, 21 May 2007 16:53:34 GMT

> If someone wants to disable
> the HTTP service completely by turning
> it off, saving memory, etc. will this be possible?

Obviously, yes.

OT - Just something that popped in as I was thinking about this

Of course. Just have a loook at server.xml

> If the webapps are created and run
> separately in a servlet container
> then the memory footprint concern goes away,

So far, the JVM use the memory as a whole, even if you have many containers.
If tomcat or jetty sucks all the memory, then you are dead.

> Also - Some shops already run Tomcat or other web containers,
> and they may prefer dropping in the ApacheDS webapps, rather
> that having ADS start yet another container.

This is a totally different concern. Nothing forbid you to create a webapp
including an embedded ADS. This has already been done (I had two student
this year who provided such a webapp). We wanted to embed a container so
that we don't depend on any other container if we want to offer DSML through
HTTP, standalone. Having to setup N product when you want to play with ADS
and DSML is not very convenient.

However, the idea of building a standalone webapp with ADS embedded is not
stupid, and woth to spend some time on it. Wanna do it ?

--
Regards,
Cordialement,