directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [LDAP] Parsing LDAP URLs
Date Thu, 31 May 2007 04:29:04 GMT

> Enrique Rodriguez a écrit :
>
> > On 5/30/07, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@apache.org> wrote:

> >> is it asap enough for you ? :)
> >

> > 1)  LdapUrl works great.  However, it doesn't look like I can use it
> > directly in searches using CoreContextFactory.  LDAP URLs are
> > supported by Sun JNDI for remote searches, since LDAP URL's are parsed
> > client-side by a Sun provider.
>
> Yes, I think we don't support LdapURL in CCF.

SNIP ...

> > Certainly I can work around this by using LdapUrl's getters as
> > parameters to my ctx.search#.  Should this be supported?  Want a JIRA?
>
> You can fill a JIRA asking for CCF to support LdapURL, sure.

There's a big problem with supporting LdapURL's in the server-side JNDI
provider (w/ CCF based ICF).
You would have to support remote searches in this case or make it so only
localhost or the name
of the localhost is used in the LDAP URL when requesting an initial context.

Remember the server-side JNDI provider mimics a JNDI provider but goes
directly to disk.  It is not
intended to be used to contact external servers.  It can be but that's
another matter for discussion.

Alex